After our first home game under the new guidelines as issued by KSHSAA, there have been a couple of issues that have come to the surface, most notably WHO can attend winter sporting events. Below is direct wording from the new guidelines issued by KSHSAA. USD 108 is following the guidance as provided by KSHSAA.
By action by the Board of Directors, the following was approved yesterday (December 8, 2020):
Effective Thursday, December 10 through January 28, 2021, interscholastic activities will allow for attendance of up to two parents/guardians per participant(s) family as allowed by local board of education or health department restrictions.
Accordingly, the KSHSAA is receiving a number of requests for clarification and provides the following consistent interpretations for your use:
- Participants include:
- Student Managers
- Cheer squads/coaches
- Dance teams/coaches
- Pep bands/directors
- Student Journalists
- Coaches may have parents/guardians or spouse/significant other.
- Children of coaches and administrators do not meet the definition approved by the BOD.
- School Board members do not meet the criteria established by the BOD unless their child is an active participant.
- Parents/guardians are there to support their child while in competition; there is no reason for them to attend “all” games in the facility on a given day.
- Teams playing in that facility as part of a multi-game event may remain in the gym as long as they are socially distant.
- All spectators must be masked the entire time in facility, even if they are socially distanced.
- No “substitutes” for parent/guardian if they are unable to attend contest.
- Event staff are not afforded parent/guardian or spouse attendance.
- The impacted interscholastic activities include basketball, bowling, debate, forensics/speech, scholars bowl, swimming & diving, and wrestling.
Please remember, the reason restricted attendance is necessary is to minimize exposure opportunities and support school and community health (both CDC and KDHE recommend no mass gatherings).
Thank you for your understanding and support. It is greatly appreciated. GO TIGERS!!
USD 108 Superintendent